Professional learning courses
Open enrollment for grades 6-12 teachers and higher education instructors
The Discussion Project is offering open enrollment for teachers, instructors and education leaders interested in advancing their discussion development skills. The Discussion Project, developed by leading educators at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, is a professional learning course for grades 6-12 teachers and college instructors. It is designed to improve discussion pedagogy as part of building a more engaging and inclusive classroom environment.
Grades 6-12 – Winter 2023
Courses for teachers and instructional leaders
Teaching with discussion is rewarding for students and teachers. The Discussion Project helps teachers make each classroom discussion more successful.
- Learn skills to build inclusive and learning environments.
- Engage all students in a range of talk from day one and build to discussions that deepen student learning.
- Acquire new techniques to structure and facilitate discussion to support academic achievement.
Higher Ed – Winter 2023
Courses for instructors and institutional leaders
College instructors don’t always have the professional learning opportunities to develop these skills. The Discussion Project changes that.
- A learn-by-doing course that focuses on building inclusive and equitable learning environments.
- Give instructors the confidence to engage all students in a range of talk from day one to deepen student learning.
- Courses are led by experts who specialize in discussion.
What our professional learners say
Associate Professor, Director, Social Work Program, Erickson Institute
“It was fantastic and should be a requirement for any new instructor. Intentional activities that made us think quickly and make decisions, also the preparation was a useful part of the learning various strategies the rationale for them and how to implement them in classrooms.”
Assistant Professor, Department of Population Health Sciences and Obstetrics & Gynecology, UW-Madison
“Take the course now if you want to level up your teaching and have richer, more productive conversations in the classroom. Highly recommend to all instructors, from grad students to full professors.“
Ready to have a discussion?
Submit your information for a personalized course walk-through with The Discussion Project team to better understand how it can support the growth of your instructors, departments, and institution.